Scientisit, deputy head of the laboratory
- Characterization of DNA damage induced by chemical agents (Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, alkylating agents, agents alkylants, reactive oxygen species) and radiation (ultraviolet, ionizing).
- Development of analytical tools for the quantification of these damage.
- Study of the formation and repair at the cellular level after exposure to various stresses.
- HDR, Grenoble University (1999)
- PhD in chemistry, Grenoble University (1992)
- Diploma of the Chemistry Engineering School of Lyon (1989)
- Master in organic synthesis, Lyon University (1989)
- 2013-2016: head of the Laboratory of Biological and Inorganic Chemsitry
- 2007-2012: Head of the "Nucleic Acids Lesions" team
- 1993- : Permanent scientist in the "Nucleic Acids Lesions" team
- 1992-1993: post-doctoral fellow at University of California in Berkeley; Prof. Bruce Ames' group
(DNA damage as biomarkers of endogenous processes)
- 1989-1992: Science thesis, supervised by Jean Cadet ("Nucleic Acids Lesions" team)
(Study of the photochemistry of isolated DNA and of model compounds)
- 1994: Young scientist award of the French Society for Photobiology
- 2006: "New Investigator Award" of the AmericanSociety for Photobiology
- 2018: "Research Award" of the American Society for Photobiology
Co-author of more than 180 original articles , and of more than 60 review articicles and book chapters (H-index 60, ISI WoK).
Selection of publications:
- T. Douki, A. Reynaud, J. Cadet & E. Sage (2003) Bipyrimidine photoproducts rather than oxidative lesions are the main type of DNA damage involved in the genotoxic effect of solar UVA radiation. Biochemistry 42, 9221-9226.
- S. Courdavault, C. Baudouin, M. Charveron, B. Canghilem, A. Favier, J. Cadet & T. Douki (2005) Repair of the three main types of bipyrimidine DNA photoproducts in human keratinocytes exposed to UVB and UVA radiations. DNA Repair 4, 836-844.
- T. Douki, J.-L. Ravanat, J.-P. Pouget, I. Testard & J. Cadet (2006) Minor contribution of direct ionization to DNA base damage induced by heavy ions, Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 82, 119-127.
- S. Mouret, C. Baudouin, M. Charveron, A. Favier, J. Cadet & T. Douki (2006) Cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers are predominant DNA lesions in whole human skin exposed to UVA radiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 13765-13770
- O. Falletti; J. Cadet, .A. Favier & T. Douki (2007) Trapping of 4-hydroxynonenal by glutathione efficiently prevents formation of DNA adducts in human cells. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 42, 1258-1269.
- S. Mouret, M. Charveron, A. Favier, J. Cadet & T. Douki (2008) Differential repair of UVB-induced cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers in cultured human skin cells and whole human skin. DNA Repair 7, 704-712
- A. Tarantini, A. Maitre, E. Lefebvre, M. Marques, C. Marie, J.-L. Ravanat & T. Douki (2009) Relative contribution of DNA strand breaks and DNA adducts to the genotoxicity of benzo[a]pyrene as a pure compound and in complex mixtures. Mutat. Res. 671, 67–75
- Vaya, I., Gustavsson, T., Miannay, F. A., Douki, T. & Markovitsi, D. (2010) Fluorescence of natural DNA: From the femtosecond to the nanosecond time scale. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 11834-11835.
- S. Mouret, M.-T. Leccia, J.-L. Bourrain, T. Douki &J.-C. Beani (2011) Individual photosensitivity of human skin and UVA-induced pyrimidine dimers in DNA. J. Invest. Dermatol. 131, 1539–1546
- A. Tarantini, T. Douki, M.-B. Personnazc, J.-L. Besombes, J.-L. Jafrezzo & A. Maître (2011) Effect of the chemical composition of organic extracts from environmental and industrial atmospheric samples on the genotoxicity of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons mixtures. Toxicol. Environ. Chem. 93, 941-954
- A. Banyasz, I. Vayá, P. Changenet-Barret, T. Gustavsson, T. Douki & D. Markovitsi (2011) Base-pairing enhances fluorescence and favors cyclobutane dimer formation induced upon absorption of UVA radiation by DNA, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 133, 5163-5165.
- S. Mouret, A. Forestier & T. Douki (2012) The specificity of UVA-induced DNA damage in human melanocytes, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 11, 155-162.
- Noonan, F. P., Zaidi, M. R., Wolnicka-Glubisz, A., Anver, M. R., Bahn, J., Wielgus, A., Cadet, J., Douki, T., Mouret, S., Tucker, M. A., Popratiloff, A., Merlino, G. and De Fabo, E. C. (2012) Melanoma induction by ultraviolet A but not ultraviolet B radiation requires melanin pigment. Nature Comm. 3.
- C. Genies, A. Maître, E. Lefèbvre, A. Jullien, M. Chopard-Lallier & T. Douki (2013) The extreme variety of genotoxic response to benzo[a]pyrene in three different human cell lines from three different organs, PLOS One 8, e78356.
- M. Batal, I. Boudry, S. Mouret, J. Wartelle, S. Emorine, M. Bertoni, I. Bérard, C. Cléry-Barraud, and T. Douki (2013) Temporal and spatial features of the formation of DNA adducts in sulphur mustard-exposed skin, Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 273, 644–650.
- M. Batal, I. Boudry, S. Mouret, C. Cléry-Barraud, J. Wartelle, I. Bérard & T. Douki (2014) DNA damage in internal organs after cutaneous exposure to sulphur mustard, Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 278, 39-44
- T. Douki, I. Bérard, A. Wack & S. Andrä (2014) Contribution of cytosine-containing cyclobutane dimers to DNA damage produced by photosensitized triplet-triplet energy transfer, Chem. Eur. J. 19, 5787-5794
- J. A. Meador, A. J. Baldwin, J. D. Pakulski, W. H. Jeffrey, D. L. Mitchell & T. Douki (2014) The significance of the Dewar valence photoisomer as an ultraviolet radiation induced DNA photoproduct in marine microbial communities, Environm. Microbiol. 16, 1808–1820
- L. Esposito, A. Banyasz, T. Douki, M. Perron, D. Markovitsi and R. Improta (2014) Effect of C5-methylation of cytosine on the photoreactivity of DNA: a joint experimental and computational study of TCG trinucleotides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 10838-10841
- T. Douki, J. A. Meador, I. Bérard and A. Wack (2015) N4-Methylation of cytosine drastically favors the formation of (6-4) photoproducts in a TCG context, Photochem. Photobiol. 91, 102-108.
- M. Batal, S. Rebelo-Moreira, N. Hamon, P.-A. Bayle, S. Mouret, C. Cléry-Barraud, I. Boudry and T. Douki (2015) A guanine-ethylthioethyl-glutathione adduct as a major DNA lesion in the skin and in organs of mice exposed to sulphur mustard, Toxicol. Lett. 233, 1-7
- T. Douki, S. Rebelo-Moreira, N. Hamon and P.-A Bayle (2015) DNA photochemistry: geometrically unconstrained pyrimidine (6-4) pyrimidone photoproducts do photoisomerize, Org. Lett. 17, 246-249
- S. Premi, S. Wallisch, C. M. Mano, A. B. Weiner, A. Bacchiocchi, K. Wakamatsu, E. J. H. Bechara, R. Halaban, T. Douki and Douglas E. Brash (2015) Chemiexcitation of melanin derivatives induces DNA photoproducts long after UV exposure. Science 347, 842-847
- D. Bacqueville, T. Douki, L. Duprat, S. Rebelo-Moreira, B. Guiraud, H. Dromigny, V. Perier, S. Bessou-Touya, H. Duplan (2015) A new hair follicle-derived human epidermal model for the evaluation of sunscreen genoprotection, J. Photochem. Photobiol. B: Biol. 151 31-38.
- T. Douki (2016) Relative contributions of UVB and UVA to the photoconversion of (6-4) photoproducts into their Dewar valence isomers. Photochem. Photobiol. 92, 586-594.
- C. Genies, A. Jullien, E. Lefebvre, M. Revol, A. Maitre and T. Douki (2016) Inhibition of the formation of benzo[a]pyrene adducts to DNA in A549 lung cells exposed to mixtures of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Toxicol. In vitro 35, 1-10.
Lectures on chemical carcinogenesis, effects of UV radiation, mass spectrometry and oxidative stress
- Associate editor for Photochemistry and Photobiology
- Member of the European Society for Photobiology (executive committee 2005-2007)
- Member of the American and European Societies for Photobiology (council member since 2014)
- Secretary of the French Society for Photobiology
- Member of the French Society for Genetic Toxicology
- Expert in the "Physical Agents" group of the National Agency of Heatlh and Environmental Safety (ANSES)
List of publications.pdf